Tuesday 3 March 2015

One last day to go :(

Quietly devastated that the day is almost here where I have to leave Free the Bears and I really wish I could stay longer despite the predicted temperature of 37 degrees and a hell of a lot of humidity. 
I just finished reading 'Smiling Bears' by Else Poulson, I didn't even realise bears could smile but they do!!! An absolutely incredible read if anyone has the opportunity I read it in 4 days and I am NOT usually a reader, a million references which I have noted so I can go back and find all the books she speaks about, an incredibly passionate soul. 
Just finished packing my bag :( and thank you to all those beautiful souls that bought a tshirt they are safely tucked away in my pack and I will hand deliver them when I return, I guess that means a weekend trip to Dubbo for a visit ;) 
I have melted in the Cambodian sun, my DNA is all over the exhibits providing probably a few months worth of enrichment for the Bears! Not even an understatement...I could have gone swimming in my sports crop and my clothes often came out of the wash smelling worse than when I put them in, worth it? Wouldn't take back a single poop scoop!!! I cannot wait to get home and go through all the footage I have and currently sitting at 60 gig of material. More adventure to come though Kurt arrives on Sunday in Siem Reap (I get there Saturday, so I'll by the pool haha) and we will be exploring Angkor Wat and the rest of the city!!! 
Sadly it's time to put my KingGee work shorts size 87R and the 'R' is for rediculously BIG! to rest. They have been with me since Symbio, my time with TWPZ and FTB and now they will be sweated in, painted on and serve their purpose elsewhere (yes I was weirdly attached to those shorts). I am incredibly impressed with the steel caps I bought off eBay they were from Rivers $25 :) not one single blister and I'd never worn them before!!! They too are being donated onto Imogen who's here at FTB for 19 weeks (jealous!) and I doubt her converse will last the time :/
Now onto my FOURTH book this trip 'Tomorrow when the war began' by John Marsden, I've been pestered to read this for ages and it just so happened to be on the shelf, WINNING!
Ok I'm not going to waffle on anymore, I honestly wish I could be here longer but who knows I might be back at some point. I have learnt so much in such a short time and the Bears are as happy and healthy as they could possibly be, they are loved and cared for, enriched all day everyday and in the best possible place considering they cannot be released. I'm proud to say I have done exactly what I have set out to do and I'm going to keep the pace going at home, my 2015 goals are slowly being met one by one. It's only the start of an incredible year and I've had the kickstart of a lifetime! 

Two questions every keeper should pose to their animals; 

Who are you? and What can I do for you?

-Else Poulsen



THIS..... is a smiling bear, 'Angel'






An example of enclosure size for Moon Bears = HUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!!!


One of many varieties..colours, shapes, smells, consistency and content, as if I wouldn't post one haha






No comments:

Post a Comment